Damn, but this has been a busy month.
I’ve got a whole bunch of web projects that I’m finishing up right now. I’m currently working on something related to my last web design work, Nuglass, that should be close to final by the end of the week.
Last night Flood Theatre tested a whole bunch of new material at show we put on at East 15 drama school. It went down pretty well, all things considering. Some material bombed, some of it soared. That’s what these nights are for, anyway, and the feedback so far has been positive. Here’s the poster I whipped up for it:
Natural Selection 2 is going from strength to strength and it’s a fantastic experience to be able to work alongside such a talented and inspired team – even though I’m thousands of miles away from most of them. I can’t wait to be able to show off what I’ve been working on, and hopefully that won’t be too long now.
I finally upgraded to a whole new PC. In the interests of learning something new, as well as keeping costs down and getting exactly what I want, I ordered all the individual components and put it together myself. That went much more smoothly than it had any right to, and I’m really enjoying being able to play modern games. Given that the last PC I bought was in 2005, the upgrade was considerable even though I didn’t spend all that much.
A few puzzle pieces are falling into place now, and now that I’m close to completing a few outstanding projects, I’m looking forward to moving on and trying a few design projects outside my comfort zone. No idea what that will be yet, but I’m looking forward to it.
I finished the week before last and have been looking forward to writing a blog post about it but haven’t had the time until now. I’ve redesigned the Flood Theatre web site. It’s now more easily expandable, more responsive, and it looks nicer too!
I’ve kept the blue textured style from the old site, but have made it darker and more sullen. This sits in contrast to violently orange elements scattered across the page. As I worked on the design, it seemed increasingly appropriate to switch from black, blue and hot pink to dark blue and bright orange. It felt like it was simultaneously more murky, heavier in contrast and simpler in execution.
One of the main issues with the old site was that I hadn’t really designed it with the addition of new content in mind. It was what it was, and we just needed something indicative of the company in time for our first public show. But as we began to make plans for this year, it became clear that we needed to be able to do a lot more with it. So the horizontal scrolling style was abandoned and replaced with a vertically scrolling arrangement that makes it much easier to just slip in new content. I also got rid of the one page set-up in favour of a bigger site. The single-page design was appropriate at the time, but as we have become more ambitious, this no longer feels like the correct approach.
As things currently stand, it will be relatively simple to integrate with a content management system like WordPress, and that is most likely the next step for the site. Social media is going to be important in promoting the company, so it is vital that the site is responsive as possible.
Not much to say other than that I made this little environment the other day:
lonely, architectural, contemplative.
One of my current projects is that I’m working on Natural Selection 2 as a level designer.
We just updated the community site with a “reveal” post showing off the new Flamethrower that has been recently been added to the game.
I’m mentioning this here as the video includes some of my work; a room from the Refinery level that I’m currently working on.
Head on over and check it out!
Okay, so this blog is, to all intents and purposes, set up! There are probably issues somewhere… if you see one, please leave a comment.
This was my first WordPress integration, and I have to say it went really smoothly. This is in no small part thanks to NETTUTS+. An excellently concise tutorial, that explained enough about what the student was actually doing that I was able to do something fairly different from their own example.
Since this is the first post and all, I should probably include some content. Here’s a little preview of something I’ve been working on lately: